This discussion makes me wonder if the ARRL Handbook and the ARRL Antenna Book have somehow been banned! This is BASIC antennas, guys. This is not CB radio, it is ham radio, and we're supposed to be able to study this stuff and figure it out! Building antennas is one the easiest parts of ham radio to do yourself, and once you've invested the time to learn the fundamentals, it's a lot of fun!

New copies of these books can be bought for less than the cost of the overpriced antennas mentioned here that mostly don't work very well, while the cost of the wire to build much better antennas can be had for a few dollars! Wire as small as #22 works fine for temporary wire antennas for QRP operation. Insulators are easy to improvise with piece of plastic with holes drilled in them.

While we can make a wire of random length load (take power) and radiate, it's far easier if we make it a quarter wave. "One size fits all" antennas are like "one size fits all" clothing. They work, sort of, but FITS (and LOOKS) a heckuva lot better.

The most expensive part of a vertical for portable or hiking operation is whatever you use to hold it up. I paid about $100 for a 10M long telescoping fiberglass pole that collapses to 1 M. Tape the wire to it, run out a couple of radials, and you've got a great antenna for any band between 40M and 10M (just trim the wires to a quarter wave on the band you want to work). For less than $10, you could do the same with 2-3 10 ft lengths of 1/2-in PVC conduit.

The picture of me on my qrz.com page is from our Chicago club's annual QRP night in a local park My antenna was #22 wire wound on that 10M pole, the pole was wedged between the seat and the top of the picnic bench so it was at roughly 45 degrees to vertical, and I had one or two radials laying on the ground. In a few hours, I made a half dozen QSOs on 30M, including busting a pileup. A few years ago, W6GJB and I set up on a peak near Sacramento with a KX3 running on internal AAs into a similar antenna for 15M. We worked three continents in about 10 minutes. There were two radials laying on top of low brush. The vertical element was held up by a small tripod intended for a small camera.

Nothing personal intended, but my opinion of virtually all of these antennas you buy comes under the heading of "a fool and his money."

73, Jim K9YC