Let me see if I understand the question: You're looking for a simple algorithm to tell you how to "best" deploy a wire of indeterminate length in a configuration yet to be specified using a transformer of indefinite impedance ratio on any of a number of unnamed bands.

This is reminiscent of one of the five volumes in Douglas Adams' trilogy, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." The people build a very powerful computer and then asked it, "What is the meaning of the Universe?" The computer begins to compute, as is the wont of computers, and worked on the problem for a very long time. Finally, it announced that it had determined the answer. By this time, there was no one in the Universe that remembered the original question. When asked for the answer, the computer replied, "Forty Two."

Possibly "forty two" would work for you as a rule of thumb? :-))

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club