Never owned or operated the K2, but I do have the KX3 and find it hears as well as my K3/10 and transmits the same power on 160-6m. I have my KX3 mounted in new truck for mobile and also have the 100w KXPA which works well with either rig. K3 beats the KX3 in really tough operating conditions but no noticeable differences in everyday use.
http://www.kl7uw.com/Mobile.htm

I find that the KX3 even seems to hear better on 6m with internal preamp vs stock K3 (I have added the PR6-10 so not an issue with it).

A couple plusses for the KX3 is size and addition of 2m all-mode at 3w which will drive my RFC 2-30 and TE1410G for 160w (120w mobile).

I have checked into the Elecraft SSB Net using either radio equally easy (esp. using the KXPA-100). I have the internal ATU for the KX3 and very handy for use in the field where antennas are not always tuned.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Magazine Business:
  dubus...@gmail.com