Bruce,

You'll get a ton of responses and most will be, "don't spend a lot"; most mics
work fine with the K3's EQ.  I do agree with Nate.  I use a Kenwood 60A (keep
preamp off) and do quite well.  There are potential issues with RF, but the fix
is pretty easy.  Because there has been a bad reputation of RF issues with the
mic, you can usually pick up used ones pretty inexpensively and if it hasn't
been modified, it's an easy fix (15 min) to do so.  Also, the same pinouts make
the Kenwood mic a "plug and play."

Joe
W1GO