Hi Bruce,

As others have noted, almost any mic that isn't "broke" can be made to sound very good with the TXEQ in your K3. Something like 8 years ago, a member of our contest club who is, like me, an audio professional, the Yamaha CM500 boom mic headset and introduced our club to it. I've used it ever since, and am quite happy with it. It's very comfortable to wear, both headphones and mic sound great with the radio. It plugs straight into the rear panel. A few tweaks and you're ready to go. Other very good SSB operators have recommended a competing model, the Koss SB-45, which is described as quite similar.

FWIW, I always liked Turner mics for the paging systems that I maintained as a young engineer just starting out.

A year or so ago, I prepared a tutorial on the topic of how to get good audio on the air. It's here. http://k9yc.com/ContestAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC