Thanks Mitch… I think we can close this thread as I can’t find any light at
the end of the rainbow.

73 Bill  W4RM

From: Mitch Wolfson, DJØQN / K7DX [mailto:dj...@gmx.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:26 PM
To: Bill OMara <w...@aol.com>; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 remote over satellite internet?

Bill,

There are no good news stories on using RemoteRig over satellite. A couple
of people have been on the RemoteRig Forum where things like this are
discussed at http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php and had tried in vain
to get it to work.

As Joe wrote, the latency is too high to make it work. To put it more in
numbers, the speed of light is (only) 300,000 km/s and the geosynchronous
satellites are in orbit at 40,000 km. Therefore, for the double round trip
that is necessary for the packets, you have a trip of 160,000 km. This gives
you a latency of 533 ms. Then you need to add on the normal ground latency
that comes on top of this in the 200 ms range, giving you a delay of about
three-quarters of one second! Things get difficult for SSB once you hit
about 200 ms, so this just will not work due to physics.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch Wolfson DJØQN / K7DX
10285 Boca Cir, Naples, FL 34109
Skype: mitchwo
USA: Home:+1-239-221-9600 - Mobile:+1-424-288-9171
Germany: Home:+49 89 32152700 - Mobile:+49 172 8374436