Not CW, and this probably won't work in 4X-land, but if you want to see the difference a Class-C amp makes, set your P3 span to about 6 KHz, and tune in WWV on its various frequencies. During the tone-on minutes, the 2.5 and 20 MHz signals will look as you expect an AM signal with a tone modulating it ... two sidebands on either side of the carrier. If you look very close, you can see the 100 Hz sub-carrier, and if you narrow things down enough, you can see the sidebands generated around it by the IRIG-H time code. These two transmitters are low level modulated with linear amplification.

The 5, 10, and 15 MHz transmitters are plate-modulated Class-C and look markedly different. The two sidebands are there, but so are their 2nd and 3rd harmonics [sometimes when WWV is really strong, I can make out the 4th harmonic]. The 100 Hz sub-carrier and the IRIG-H sidebands are there as you would expect, but they also surround the audio sidebands and harmonics.

WWV builds one baseband with all the tones, ticks, burps, codes, and voice and it modulates all 5 transmitters. The difference between the TX is really striking and a bit disappointing. I've always assumed WWV was the "gold-standard."

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

--Northern California Contest Club