Actually, I'm designing one as we speak. It's a compound USB device
containing a sound card and serial port. I did a "proof of concept" with the
design strung out on my bench. I never used it on the air but the USB side
of things worked quite well. The signals on the waterfall looked very good.
I tested it with Digipan 2.0, MixW, and Ham Radio Deluxe. I was never able
to get my current external USB interface to work with HRD so I was very
pleased. I'm purposely designing it to use the Windows-supplied drivers so
no driver installation CD is required. This I hope will make it work with a
wide range of software programs. However, it requires Windows XP equipped
computers. I'm not sure if many people are still using the older versions of
Windows.

Anyway, I'm designing a prototype circuit board to test it with the K2. If
that's successful, the next stage is to redesign the PC board again to get
it inside the K2. I just have the base K2 so I need to determine a shape for
the PCB that will work inside a basic K2 as well as a fully-loaded K2. I'm
sure it's quite crowded inside with all the options. I think I might have to
separate the USB "Type B" connector from the rest of the board in order to
make installation more flexible.

The design is still in the early stages but I'll be interested in enlisting
the help of some testers in the future. If you'd like to help test this
contraption in exchange for a completed product when released, then send me
an e-mail.

Kevin
N8IQ