You also have many thousands of ham radio towers in northwest 7 land with either Ufer grounds or embedded tower bases. You tell me how many of them have exploded during lightning strikes, and how that justifies the admonition to "never encase a ground rod in a tower base".

I once did an extensive internet search trying to find documented examples of concrete structures that had exploded from the inside out due to internal grounded conductors. I couldn't find a single one. Maybe you can find one, and if so I'd like to see the link. I did find several instances of damage to concrete structures from lightning hits, but all of them had external damage from simple lightning strikes. Most other damage was attributed to the fact that there wasn't any grounding at all ... i.e., an ungrounded structure on top of a concrete base.

From a theoretical point of view, I could picture a discharge causing more damage from insufficient metal in the concrete rather than too much. Spread the current ... minimize the heat buildup. If you want to argue that a single ground rod in a concrete base is a poor idea, OK ... I can buy that. But these other blanket statements are garbage science.

Dave   AB7E