Wayne:

> On Jul 15, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com> wrote:
>
> I’m dealing with one of the last unsolved problems in amateur radio: how to
> operate HF mobile without an antenna. At least not one that, according to
> some vehicle co-owners/spouses, would defile your new sedan.
>
> For 10 bonus points that have only philosophical value, your challenge is to
> create an invisible mobile antenna and actually make a QSO on it. For
> practical purposes (i.e., not frying the car or passengers) let’s say the
> maximum power level is 10 watts. The bands of interest are 40-10 meters.

If the goal is to operate HF while mobile “without an antenna”, why not take an
entirely different approach using existing Elecraft product offerings that
entirely avoids the issue of trying to mount antennas on vehicles that are
becoming less and less “amateur friendly?”

My suggestion is to operate an Elecraft base station remotely while mobile
using the K3/0-Mini and RemoteRig 1258MKII in the vehicle tethered to an iPhone
or other Smartphone.  The K3/0-Mini operates superbly with RemoteRig to connect
to base stations.  The Smartphone acts as a “Wifi hotspot” in the vehicle;  use
the WiFi option of RemoteRig 1258MKII to connect to the smartphone or use a
separate “WAP” (Wireless Access Point) such as the TPLink TL-WR802N ($20.00)
that is tied to the RemoteRig 1258MKII via an ethernet connection between the
two.

Depending upon the types of interfaces incorporated at the base station, one
can also control the rotor and KPA500 through the web browser of the smartphone
if using the RemoteRig RC-1216H to interface to each device at the home station
(one RC-1216H for each device).

The ability to operate amateur radio through internet links while mobile has
been well established.  For example, in the case of DMR (Digital Mobile Radio)
offered by various VHF and UHF repeater organizations, I’ve had excellent
performance using the RFShark “openSPOT” tied through a TL-802N WAP and
connected to the internet via my iPhone 7 “hotspot”.   The openSPOT acts as a
mini-repeater in the vehicle with RF from a radio (such as a HT)  being sent
through the internet;  likewise, packets received from the internet are
broadcast by the openSPOT to the HT in the vehicle. I’ve been able to
communicate through two different DMR networks (DMR+ and Brandmeister) while
mobile, allowing me to utilize DMR repeater networks while out-of-range of DMR
repeaters. This has allowed me to communicate with friends in New England and
North Florida/South Georgia when I’m not in repeater coverage within those
areas.

In essence, the K3/0-Mini coupled to a RemoteRig 1258MKII and linked to a
smartphone via Wifi is taking a similar approach, but with the interface
between the K3/0-Mini being hardwired to the RemoteRig 1258MKII.  The RemoteRig
can be placed under a car seat and the K3/0-Mini can be placed anywhere where
the operator can access it just as with a mobile rig control head.  If a WAP is
used, it can also be placed beneath the seat.

Are there downsides to  operating HF via internet back to the home station (or
some other locale)?  Providing Grid Squares based upon vehicle location is out
since the location of the transmitter is what determines which grid square one
is operating from, and not the location of operator.  Internet quality through
cellular networks can vary while mobile,  but overall the throughput of the
K3/0-Mini using audio CODECs offered by the RemoteRig equipment that require
less bandwidth should still work well.

Food for thought,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Currently in Boston, MA)