Martin,

Yes, the CW memories will not work well with CW in SSB.
Input from the paddles or hand key should work fine.

If you must use the CW memories, you must switch to CW mode and set the frequency above or below the SSB frequency. Perhaps a macro could be created to do that with one button push, and another to go back to SSB.

73,
Don W3FPR