Jack:

The way I manage my KPA500 remotely is via a Remote Rig RC-1216H which provides
a web-based interface to manage the KPA500.

See:   http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=636
<http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=636>

Ham Radio Outlet carries this product. See:
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013985
<http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-013985>
The price has gone up since I purchased mine (I have two-the other remotely
interfaces with my Green Heron azimuth controller)

The web page looks like the front panel of the KPA500, allowing you to do
everything remotely that you can do at the amplifier, including seeing what
power output and SWR is being measured by the amplifier.  You can turn on/off
the amp, place in Standby/Operate, set band switches, etc.  I’ve found this
approach to be very effective and relatively easy to setup.

The advantage of this approach are several:

1. Manage your amp from your current location with any device that has a web
browser (iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC, Android device etc.).  No need for a PC in the
shack itself to manage the amplifier using Elecraft KPA500 software.  My
preference is to avoid running PCs in the shack when I’m not there because PCs
do hang up and consume power.  If something goes wrong, it could be months
before I’m back at the shack.  I’ve been unsuccessful in getting “Wake on LAN”
to work.  Thus, I manage my station without the necessity of having a PC
running in the shack.

Using Maestro along with a smartphone/tablet is a nice way to manage
everything. If you’re using SmartSDR 2.0 for iOS, you can manage both the Flex
and the KPA500 on the same device.

2. The amp can still be interfaced with the Elecraft K3 (if you have one) for
auto band switching and communication through the KPA500’s ACC port while using
the RS232 port for remote access.

3. Independent verification of KPA500 status.

You will probably need to setup Port Forwarding for the RC-1216H, manually
specifying a Local IP address for the RC-1216H on your local network and then
defining a TCP Port (other than Port 80, the default for web browser
connections) to make it specific for that device. You’ll then need to setup
DDNS so that you can access the LAN from the outside network.  Depending upon
the router you use, you may have that ability built into the router.  Once
configured, all you need to do is specify on your browser your ham shack WAN
address (using either the DDNS address or the actual IP assignment for your
location) followed by a colon and the TCP Port for the RC-1216H (e.g.
hamshack.dyndns.org:90 <http://hamshack.dyndns.org:90/>)

Keep in mind that the 1216H interfaces to the KPA500 through the RS-232 port.
If you intend to connect to the KPA500 through RS-232 to other devices (such as
a PC), you’ll have to either 1) reconnect manually the RS232 cable to the
appropriate connection), or provide a means for passing RS232 between the
KPA500 and more than one device, such as via software on a PC

In my case, I use the KPA500 RS232 port just for RC-1216H.  If I need to access
a PC for KPA500 firmware upgrades for example, I use a temporary cable
connection.

I use the KPA500 with the K3 series so I can’t speak to specific
setup/operation with the Flex-6xxx series. I have a Flex but since I’m not
physically at the ham shack, have yet to download/setup SmartLink under v2.0
and the new firmware.  I hope to do that next weekend when I’m back at the
shack in SE Georgia.  For the past three years I’ve operated remotely using my
Elecraft K3/KPA500/KAT500 using the K3/0-Mini, so I’ll be interested to see how
well the Flex WAN capability functions when the ham shack has relatively slow
internet (at best 1.2 Mbps upload, 20 Mbps download).

Hope this helps,

Barry, WD4ASW
(Currently in Columbia, SC)