Better yet, just turn on the MON function on the radio and listen to the tones. They must be perfectly clear and clean. And yes, I've found that over driving the sound card will do really funny things to the ALC and its display. Start low and work your way up. Remember there are 3 places that likely need adjusting, not just one.

73

Bob, K4TAX