I spent some quality time with my K3, FLDIGI and an oscilloscope today. I had the same problem as described. Looking at my USB soundcard output to the K3, the amplitude of the audio from FLDIGI in TUNE mode was rock solid. Looking at the MON output from the K3, the level oscillated in time with the ALC "pumping" at about 2.4 Hz (timed with a stop watch). At the same time the K3 power output into a dummy load was rock solid at a selected 10 watts.

Then I changed the carrier frequency in FLDIGI slightly off 1500 Hz and the "pumping" went away! At 1515 Hz I could easily set the ALC to the desired 4 bars solid, 5th flickering. Then I remembered (and verified) that the default filter center in DATA A mode is 1500 Hz. I changed the filter center frequency to 1450 Hz and moved the FLDIGI frequency around but couldn't reproduce the "pumping".

I plan to repeat the same tests with WSJT-X 1.8 but wanted to get this out to the group.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ