FWIW ... I do a lot of JT65/JT9/FT8 digital, and I would definitely suggest getting an external USB soundcard for such work.

1. It eliminates the probably of transmitting any OS sounds/beeps/alarms along with your digital audio.
2.  Provides good isolation capabilities
3. While I'm assuming most built-in laptop soundcards can provide the 48kHz DVD quality playback/recording you need for programs like WSJT-X, you definitely will have that in many of the external soundcards. I use a Sound Blaster SBX proaudio soundcard I got a Amazon for around $60-65. I've used it with my IC-715, and KX3 without any issues.

Neil, KN3ILZ