Jim -

Good ideas from you, as always.

The impact of RF on the car's systems interests me the most, as I hadn't
thought of it before.  Yours was a Sequoia.  Mine will be - if I buy it - a
Lexus GX which is effectively the Sequoia's cousin, if not half-brother.  So
even if I conquer all the challenges of bonding and antenna-making and all the
rest, there is still the risk that HF RF will affect some processor on the
vehicle at the worst possible time and place?  How do we deal with that sort of
problem?  Operate QRP only?

Many years ago (1973) I had a HW-101 in a Fiat Spyder, which in those days
still had the traditional coil and condenser ignition system.  To control noise
I installed coax  braid over every spark plug wire from the distributor and the
line from the coil and whatever else I could at.  Then one day the braid
shorted something at one end or the other - right at the point where the
Hollywood Freeway goes through Cahuenga Pass and (in those days anyway as I
remember it) narrows to three lane, and at about 5:30 PM.  With a cold dead
Fiat I blocked at least one of those lanes for at least the hour it took me to
rip out all the braid while suffering the horns and the hand gestures of about
400,000 people whom I made late for dinner.

I don't want to ever do that again.  How vulnerable are today's cars' systems
to HF RF?

Ted, KN1CBR