On 10/9/2017 9:00 AM, Rick WA6NHC wrote:
Overall, not a great plan.

Using an inverter, you will introduce RF noise, generate heat and poor regulation,

I've used "good" ones (Samlex "pure sine wave" with FCC Part 15 Class B certification) and they ARE NOISY.  Using a lot of ferrite cores got their smallest one (100W) quiet enough on 40-6M to run the logging computer for a CW QSO party mobile operation.

If you use a power port (no longer called cigarette plugs), you will again introduce noise for your radio because they seldom have decent chassis bonding.

Chassis bonding is NOT a solution to noise in a vehicle. Noise does not come in on the power wiring, it comes in on the ANTENNA. Indeed, there is no good reason to bond a radio to the chassis of a vehicle.

They are also low amperage capable and you can exceed that (check the owner manual or the fuse block), even if momentarily.  Often they are also part of the vehicle systems array, so you'll get noises and generate issues to/from the vehicle electronics, some of which are rather spendy to repair.

Many of the systems in a vehicle can generate noise, and some can be quite sensitive to RF. One of the on-board computers in my Toyota Sequoia (big SUV, same as their pickup) went into "limp home" mode when I called CQ on 20M with 100W into a Ham Stick mounted to rear side rail on the roof.  Top speed became 15 mph. I learned this while driving I-80 through the Nevada desert between Salt Lake City and Reno. Not a great place to break down. I got running again by pulling the positive lead off the battery and reconnecting it, which rebooted the victim computer.

But this is an RF problem, NOT a power problem.  When we run mobile, the only chassis bond that matters is the bond of the coax braid to conductive parts of the vehicle at the antenna. This provides the antenna with a counterpoise -- that is, the vehicle becomes a very necessary part of the antenna. This causes RF current to flow on those conductive parts of the vehicle chassis and body -- IF those body parts are connected together. And that's a BIG IF, because most body parts are insulated from each other by PAINT!

In the long run, it's best (and least expense) to simply run the (fused at both ends, both wires) power cable to a known, chassis bonded source.  Power is NOT a place to cheap out.  If you're QRP, it's simple, the wires aren't huge, check your IR^2 losses over the run (make sure there is no voltage drop AT the radio).

I agree that I wouldn't power anything bigger than a talkie or receiver from a lighter plug.  FAR better to run a beefy copper pair directly to the battery. NEVER, NEVER use the vehicle chassis as a return for DC. Doing so causes the positive lead to form a large magnetic loop with the chassis return, AND causing it to act as an antenna.

Hint:  Make sure EVERYTHING, power at the source, power at the radio, the radio itself AND the antenna are properly RF bonded (not DC) to the vehicle and you'll have less issues

Again, the radio is NOT the sensitive element here, it's the ANTENNA, which includes the chassis and other conductive parts. It IS important that -12V be bonded at the battery, but it is NOT useful to bond the radio.

73, Jim K9YC