Now that the busyness of the Thanksgiving holiday is over, I was able to get
back to the K2.

First of all, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I first, for both the Front Panel and the Control Board, verified that all the
proper components were installed and in their proper orientation.  No problems
found here.

I then went and reflowed all of the solder joints (well, all of those I could
actually access).

After reassembling the radio, I turned it on and got past the INFO 201.  Good!
Reflowing the solder must have fixed something somewhere.

Now I have the INFO 080 message.

Referring to Appendix E of the K2 manual, I quickly found the problem to be a
bad solder connection on U1ā€™s (RF board) 4 MHz resonator (RF-Z5)..  Easily
fixed that and checked all other solder connections of the RF board.

Applied power. Ah, the wonderful sound of clicking relays!

Looked at the display, and saw...gibberish.

Decided to reset the radio again (4+5+6 then power-on).

Got the INFO 201, followed quickly by ELECrAFt, followed then by 7100.00c.

All tests and functions as outlined in Alignment and Test, Part 1, worked as
expected.  Happy to see that!

Something still bugs me though. After reflowing the solder connections, I
re-measured the resistance checks (per pg. 29 of the User Manual).  I only list
below the measurements in question:

Test Point      Signal Name     Res. (to GND)   Actual Measurement
U1 pin 1        IDAT            25 - 35 k       8.84 k
U1 pin 2        ICLK            25 - 35 k       8.93 k
U1 pin 3        /SYNC           40 - 60 k       28 k
U1 pin 5        5A              15 - 40 k       4.1 k
U1 pin 12       2V              9 - 11 k                6 k
J1 pin 15       VPOTS           10 - 60 k       4.3 k
J1 pin 16       ICLK            25 - 35 k       8.9 k
J1 pin 17       IDAT            25 - 35 k       8.7 k
J1 pin 18       5A              15 - 40 k       4.1 k

I realize that the primary purpose of the resistance measurements here are to
check for opens and shorts, but given that the three boards appear to work as
expected, I can't help but wonder if these measurements are OK as is, or is
there something else amiss.  I did check these with two different DMMs and the
results were consistent.

73,
Dan, K7DJK