From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill Frantz
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 22:42
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] CW Contest and Elecraft K3s decoder

Under the rules, in the assisted categories, using decoders is legal. It is
also legal, but perhaps unwise, to use the spotting network to "read" the call
signs. Wiser is to verify a spotted call sign, which is a lot easier than to
copy it cold. In the unassisted categories, all these techniques are illegal.

I think most stations were using a macro to send their report.
Since the report in CQ WW DX is constant, setting up a macro is easy. Copying
the report is a different matter, but I found the reports easier to copy than
the calls, since the reports were all numbers (with some Ts, As, and Ns tossed
in for brevity).

73 Bill AE6JV

On 11/26/17 at 9:21 PM, marvwhee...@nwlink.com wrote:

>I personally don't depend on the rig decoding but listening this
>weekend let me know that either the big boys are using something to
>decode station callsigns and are definite using an automated system to send
>their report.
>Using the K3S cw speed option I saw several that read over 60 wpm. I
>realize there are those that can copy that fast but not this old boy.

Bill Frantz        |"Insofar as the propositions of mathematics
refer to
408-356-8506       | reality, they are not certain; and insofar
they are
www.pwpconsult.com | certain, they do not refer to reality.”
-- Einstein

delivered to d...@elecraft.com