David,

There are several possibilities.
While it is possible that the "serial" cable may have been the the problem, that could have damaged the KIO2 (or KPA100), but it could also have damaged the MCU (U6) on the control board.

Did it go into transmit with no load? If so, it may be that Q7 and Q8 have been damaged. Check the resistance from the collector to ground. It should start out at about 2k ohms and increase in resistance as the electrolytics charge. If it is substantially less than that, the PA transistors may have been damaged - that will trip the internal resettable fuse (F1). To remove 12v power from the PA transistors, you can remove them (do that if the resistance check reveals them to be shorted), or you can remove transformer T3.
After removing 12v from the PA transistors, see if the K2 powers on.

I don't know of anyone who is skilled in troubleshooting the K2 in central FL, but someone may volunteer.

If you remove the PA transistors and do not have adequate desoldering ability, clip the leads at the transistor bodies and remove the leads one at a time. Clean up with solder wick and if solder remains in the holes, heat the pads and push the solder out with a wooden toothpick. Replace the PA transistors with the K2PAKIT from Elecraft - it has matched PA transistors. I can give you some tests to check with the PA transistors out to check whether transistors Q11 and Q13 are OK (they are included with the K2PAKIT).

73,
Don W3FPR