DTR keying works well with the K3, but as Tom pointed out, it does not play
well with virtual COM ports. Since I started using Win4K3, I’ve had to use
alternate means.
I’m planning to go with a Winkeyer type device for all the reasons
mentioned by the others.
I recently found the Nanokeyer project, which is a Arduino based Winkeyer
clone built on the code from K3NG. I’ve got one knocked together on the
workbench and it seems to work well, so I’m going to give it a workout and
see if it meets my needs, as soon as I find time to move it from a mass of
jumper wires and clip leads to something resembling a completed piece of
equipment.