I understand that advice, and follow it most of the time. However, I found that when I was trying to receive weak PSK31 signals, strong, nearby signals would make decode impossible. Using a combination of the 250 Hz filter with the DSP filter, sometimes as narrow as 50 Hz would allow decode. I think the problem was that the combination of the strong signal and the weak signal exceeded the dynamic range of the audio AtoD converter going into the computer, and the weak signal lost out. I could be wrong.

This problem occurred with a SignaLink. I have not had as much of a problem with the KIO3B running FT8, but the circumstances are different enough between the two modes that I'm not sure that is an apples to apples comparison. I was able to improve FT8 decode through the KIO3B when there were strong signals 2-3 KHz away from the FT8 subband by narrowing the DSP bandwidth from 4K to 2.5K (which automatically switched from the 13 KHz FM filter to the stock 2.7 KHz filter).

73 Bill AE6JV