On Friday, 9 March 2018 16:29:19 CET Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> > Probably the biggest problem with the Signalink USB is not the
> > interface itself, but the Windows builtin drivers for the ADC. It
> > thinks the ADC is a microphone and add +30 dB of gain in software.
>
> That issue is not with Windows ... it is with the device maker who
> has selected a device that identifies as microphone level.  Using
> the proper device/device ID will cause Windows to see it as a line
> level input and set the drivers correctly.

That can be debated, no other OS (MacOS/Linux/*BSD) identifies it as a
microphone. And why is there no clear option to enable/disable the "software
pre-amp" in Windows?

On the filter discussion; I have (apart from FM filter) 2.8 KHz filters and
400 Hz filters. Very pleased with that. I am not a contester so I want the
full SSB bandwidth, mainly for waterfall view in digital modes. 2.8 KHz
because I couldn't be bothered with filter matching in main and sub
receiver...
400 Hz is kind of the smallest BW usable for digital modes anyway. If you want
to go tighter than that (for CW or possibly PSK31), use the DSP filter is my
advice.

/Johan