To add something to what Don said:

I've been using my KX3 with a USB soundcard (SoundBlaster SBx) for digital modes, and WSJT-X modes especially for about two years now. Before that I was using an IC-718 with the same soundcard. You don't need to spend over $100 for a specialty piece of equipment that basically does the same thing two shielded stereo cables, a KXUSB cable and a cheap USB soundcard does.  You can do it for anywhere from $20 to 60 bucks, the only criteria, at least for the WSJT-X modes, is that the soundcard must provide 16bit 48kHz audio.

That said, on MACs its been found that keeping the soundcard set to 44100 Hz keeps the computer from having problems with WSJT-X, no one's quite sure why.

K3s owners have it a bit easier, with the built in USB for CAT and audio.     K3 owners (without the USB KIO3B option) can use the same setup as my KX3.

73,

Neil, KN3ILZ