The same principle has been used in woodworking for quite a long time.  My father learned it from his grandfather for cabinet making.  I am currently watching the British '70s television series Connections.  Re-inventing things over the centuries is quite common.  The problem which needs to be solved pushes the imagination of the builder into crafting similar answers.

   73,

      Kevin.  KD5ONS