I own the second edition and I also own the student manual that goes along with
the book.

To judge the usefulness of this book, it is good to learn why it exists.  As
you read in the preface to the first edition, the book grew out of notes from a
course at Harvard University on "laboratory electronics".  This type of course
is similar to other courses at other universities and the important thing to
note is that the target student is NOT an E.E. major.  In fact, the preface
states that the book is designed to be used by students that do not have
previous electronics knowledge or experience.  But, these were Harvard students
so I grant those students' capabilities as better than average.

My undergraduate degree is Physics and back in the 1960s, my physics curriculum
included a similar course study.  This was all about using lab equipment but
also making the necessary little electronic gadgets that were important to work
in a physics research laboratory.  When I took my course, the book "The Art of
Electronics" did not exist and we never had a text book in our course.

I wanted more though so I also signed up for the EE department's equivalent
course which started with FET transistors which was the new thing at the time
and quickly went into digital electronics and digital logic circuits.  I never
learned about building audio or RF circuits in my physics oriented electronics
course nor in the EE course.  Importance was given to digital and computer
circuits (~1967).  The book "The Art ..." is similar, its main focus is
primarily in using electronics to interface with equipment, digital/analog,
digital/digital, and so on with just a sprinkle, in comparison, for RF.

73, phil, K7PEH