Yes - you are correct. It didn’t occur to me when I installed it that it
shouldn’t run due to the different architecture.
Turns out that the first thing I installed to the fresh installation of
Raspbian was Exagear Desktop to test with a different application (a windows
one.) I had thought that you had to tell ED to start the 686 emulator prior to
running an x86 app, but it appears to automatically invoke when it detects the
different architecture trying to load. So it started the emulator and runs KX3
Util inside it.
It isn’t perfect though - for some reason it fails to connect to
ftp.elecraft.com with a 127 error, even though the x86 machine can go to the
internet. KX3 Util does connect to the KX3 and can do everything else though.
Guess I’ll have to figure out how to correct that one problem.

I expect that a some time in the not-to-distant future they will release a
64-bit version of Raspbian. It would be nice to have a native KX3 Util program
compiled for the Arm. Raspberry Pis just get more popular for ham radio. It
runs the FL suite, WSJT-X, and Chirp.

Jeff - kg7hdz