Subject: Re[2]: [Elecraft] FT8 using internal USB sound on the K3S

Nope, it's in DATA A. WSJT-X's CAT control works fine with the K3S, setting frequency and DATA mode to DATA A (I forgot to mention that, sorry). The problem has NO relation to the filter controls or any of the other stuff.

Thanks Rich, but I already have WSJT-X set up the way you suggest except I never touch the equalizations. I've found in the past that it only distorts the signal.

The problem as I have stated twice now is WSJT-X can't open the audio device. Windows 10's device manager reports it is working properly. CAT via the same USB connection works properly, reads the K3S frequency, sets the mode to DATA A as it should, test CAT and test PTT work as they should. Just no audio input from the K3S. I have NOT tried TX audio to the K3S and won't until I get the audio input working in receive first.

Thanks,

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------
From: "Richard Ferch" <ve3...@gmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 6/25/2018 10:16:11 AM

It sounds as though you are putting the rig into USB mode. I believe you would be better off putting the rig into DATA A. Set the rig's mode to DATA
and the data submode to DATA A. With the rig in DATA A, adjust the K3's
filter controls to put the Lo-Cut at around 0.20 and the Hi-Cut around 2.8. With the rig in DATA A mode, set MIC SEL to LIN (this will not affect your microphone setting for voice modes). MIC+LIN will be N/A. Adjust the MIC
gain control to somewhere above zero, e.g. LIN 5 or so.

In the WSJT-X Settings window under the Radio tab, if you are not using
some other radio control software such as the DXLab Suite Commander, then set the CAT control port to the COM port number that Windows has assigned
to the K3S's USB serial port. Set the Mode in WSJT-X to either None or
Data/Pkt - not to USB. For PTT, I prefer to set WSJT-X's PTT method to VOX
and turn VOX on in the K3, or you can use PTT via CAT. Under Split
Operation, choose either Split or Fake It.

In the WSJT-X Settings window under the Sound tab, select the K3S's USB
Audio Codec as the soundcard device for both input and output.

Right-click on the Windows speaker icon in the Windows system tray and
select Playback devices, then select the USB Audio Codec (in the K3S) and click on the Properties button. Select the Level tab and adjust the level
slider so it is in the middle of the range.

While receiving in WSJT-X with WSJT-X's Monitor function on, adjust the
K3S's LIN OUT level so that band noise alone is enough to bring the level indicator on the left side of the WSJT-X window to about 30 dB or so. When receiving actual signals, the level thermometer should not turn red; if it
does, reduce the K3S's LIN OUT level. In the Wide Graph window, you may
need to adjust the waterfall and spectrum gain and zero controls to get a
good looking spectrum and waterfall. I don't check Flatten - if you do,
make sure that the Wide Graph window does not display any frequencies
outside the K3S's filter bandpass.

Now transmitting into a dummy load or a dead band at low power or in TX
Test mode, put WSJT-X into transmit and adjust the Windows level slider
and/or the K3's MIC gain control to get 4-5 bars on the K3's ALC meter.
Once this is adjusted correctly, you should no longer need to adjust either of these controls. Use the K3's PWR control to adjust the output power. Do not try to control the output power by changing the audio level. Leave the Pwr slider on the right side of the WSJT-X window at the top of its range
and don't change it.

73,
Rich VE3KI

W0EB wrote:

For some reason I can't get WSJT-X to pull the input sound or send output sound to the K3S through the USB port. I know I have some K3S parameter(s) set wrong, but so far I haven't been able to figure out which ones or how
to change them.

I had this working before so not sure what I did to change it.

Feel like a total dummy, but at 76, I do forget some things - LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

Windows 10 PRO 64bit -I have the USB CODEC in the K3S configured as sound in and out in device manager and nothing plugged in to the rear of the K3S other than external speakers in the speaker jack - nothing to MIC or LINE
In or LINE Out.

Menu Settings:
MIC SEL is FP.L
MIC + LIN ON