Montana has a $25 vanity plate fee, regardless of what
the plate "says", -but- ham radio plates are exempt.

BUT … I had a very difficult time convincing the local
county folks that my "K0PP" plates were -not- the usual
vanity plate they were used to issuing.  It took a 200 mile
trip to the state motor vehicle office with a copy of the
Callbook and the FCC Part 97 in hand to get the matter
resolved.

At the time the prison tag shop foreman was a ham.  They
had no slant zero die and he made my first plate by hand
with a strip of tape across a zero.  He told me I was the
first "zero" plate they had made … the die they subsequently
purchased cost $97.

Montana renews a plate with an adhesive expiration date
sticker and does not issue a new plate each year.

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP