On 9/20/2018 8:07 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
On a related topic, I discovered that as a guy of a certain age, 400 Hz may be
a better pitch for copying weak signals than my usual 550 Hz. This could be a
well-understood psychoacoustic phenomenon, but it came as a pleasant surprise.

The science behind this is that 1) human hearing is logarithmic, so our ear/brain hears greater difference between signals at lower frequencies (because the same difference in Hz is a greater percentage difference); and 2) most (but not all) hearing loss is greater at higher frequencies.

BTW -- for those who don't know, psychoacoustics is the science of how humans perceive sound. It includes speech intelligibility, how we hear music, the effects of noise, echoes, and reverberation, how we perceive directionality of a sound source, and so on.

73, Jim K9YC