On Fri, 9/21/18, Drew AF2Z <pu...@af2z.net> wrote:

> I generally use 440 Hz for sidetone/pitch, thinking that it is a familiar
> standard musical note and perhaps is more recognizable to the
> brain in some way.  I don't know if that has any validity or not...

I've been using a sidetone pitch of 800 Hz on my K2/100 for years, but more
recently thought I might prefer something a bit lower.

Running alongside a Drake R4C receiver, I've been experimenting with a homebrew
CW transmitter over the past month that includes a sidetone oscillator.  I
adjusted the pitch of the sidetone for something that "sounded about right" to
my ears and left it at that.

Last weekend I decided to measure the frequency of the sidetone and found it
was within 1 Hz of 800!

I suppose I've been listening to CW at 800 Hz for so long, I just committed the
pitch it to memory.  :-)

73 de John, KD2BD