From: "Fred Jensen" <k6...@foothill.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 9/21/2018 1:17:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Conditions, shmonditions: DXing anyway

This probably is related to the commercial CW operators trick of laying the phones down on the desk to copy a weak ship station through noise. It really does work. Unfortunately, today's over-the-ear headphones tend to stick together rather than laying flat on the desk as the old "cans" did, but it still works. Tailoring the K3 RX equalizer for your ears and headphones/speaker is well worth some time and effort too, even on CW with narrow bandwidths. You just have to go slowly and evaluate each setting before changing anything.

In SE Asia in the mid 60's, we used 11.5 KVA 400 Hz turbine generators. The primary reason was weight. A 10 KVA 60 Hz diesel MB-5 was trailer-mounted and weighed about 3,500 lbs [1,600 kg]. Two troops could carry the turbine units, and of course, the 400 Hz power supplies were correspondingly lighter too. A side benefit was that the high frequency whine of the turbines, running at around 9,000 RPM, was very easy to muffle with a few sandbags [generators were small]. The low frequency rumble from the 60 Hz generators was essentially impossible to suppress.

High frequencies seem to come forward, straight off a speaker and with compromised hearing, I lose intelligibility if I move off to the side. If I am having a hard time understanding you, speaking louder won't help much, speaking directly at me usually will.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County