Dave,

Using Diversity Receive, the human brain does that automatically (but not with the numbers). You can sort out both signals and automatically pick the best one or a blend of the two. This is an unconscious process.

The name of the game is communications, not looking at numbers representing the two signals or the difference between them.

To analyze and display the differences may be useful in a lab setting, but not of much use for quickly picking the best path for a QSO.

Just my opinion.

73,
Don W3FPR