From: "Bob McGraw K4TAX" <rmcg...@blomand.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 8:36:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Searching for Noise (i.e., Samples Thereof)

One of the first things to do is isolate the noise to two sources in
general. (a) inside the house, (b) outside the house.

My approach is to use the 12V battery off of the lawn tractor to power
the transceiver. Use the antenna and band which provides the worst
noise. Then pull the main breaker for the house. What's the noise
difference? If there is little to no difference, the noise is outside
of the house. If the noise drops a noticeable amount, that part of the
noise is inside the house. The MFJ 805 works well for finding noise
inside the house.

To further look for (a), turn all breakers off and the main back on.
Noise should be about the same. Then add one breaker at a time and
observe the noise. Yes, I know this takes many trips between the
breaker panel and the radio. When you flip a breaker ON and the noise
increases, that tells one what circuit and area of the house the noise
is originating. Find it and eliminate it. Then move on to other
breakers in the panel doing the same thing. This is simply the process
of logically identifying the noise and then applying means to reduce or
eliminate the noise. If it is outside of the house than an item such as
the MFJ 852 works well.

The NB and NR functions work well in the K3S but they are no substitute
for finding and eliminating the noise source.

73

Bob, K4TAX

Message delivered to donov...@starpower.net