Heh, I'm the exact opposite.  It's one of my evaluation test points that if the device/software is truly user intuitive, friendly etc, the manual become superfluous, rarely needed.  But for picking out the nits and finer subtle details these days, one must read because ultimately, they matter.

Hurray for PDF and the search function!  You can keep a van load of 'books' on your phones now.

Rick NHC