Rick,

Have you bought a new vehicle lately? My 2017 model (moving from a 2008 model) had more bells and whistles than I could imagine. The salesman made an attempt at familiarizing me with the various functions, but the mind became saturated during his demo, and I concentrated only on what was necessary to drive it home!

I had to read the owner's manual to be able to deal properly with the vehicle. So RTFM. All transceivers are not the same. What is OK for some is not OK for others.

Case in point is the way the Elecraft transceivers control power. Other amateur transceivers can control the power output in an open loop with the amount of audio that is produced. Elecraft transceivers control power output in a closed loop and must be treated differently. The manual statement to adjust the audio for voice operation for 5 to 7 bars on the ALC meter, and for soundcard digital modes to set the audio for 4 bars solid and the 5th bar flashing must be respected. The power output must be controlled by the POWER knob, and not the audio level.

Read the manual - that information I gave above is not intuitive because much internet advice and even the instructions for some of the application software do not consider the Elecraft method of power output control.

73,
Don W3FPR