I don't know what you are missing but, when I was investigating the QSK keying
characteristics of the TS-590S, I found a digital storage scope to be very
useful.   Traces showing key input to rig, amplifier keying output, RF
envelope, and RX audio were very informative.

At 30 wpm the first element of your call should be 120 ms long so there would
have to be a really bad delay for it to disappear completely.   I doubt many
could detect the loss of the first 8 ms.

A 'scope will tell you where the delay is happening if no one comes up with an
answer for you.

73,
Andy, k3wyc