I only partially answered the question about when each wattmeter is used.
If the KAT100 is connected to a QRP K2 (KPA100 physically removed) through a KIO2, then the KAT100 wattmeter will be used for power control and SWR display in the K2 display.

As long as the KPA100 is physically connected, its wattmeter is used for power control and also display of SWR on the K2.

73,
Don W3FPR

Bill,

Both wattmeters (KPA100 and KAT100) are in-line at the same time. With the KPA100 installed the KAT100 wattmeter is only used to calculate the SWR and use that value to light the SWR bargraph. But otherwise they are electrically equal.

Why the KPA100 diodes get zapped while the KAT100 ones are often unscathed is a question I do not have an answer for - it may have something to do with the physical placement of the toroid and the diodes.  The KAT100 has a greater groundplane area around the toroid and diodes, and I believe that has something to do with it.

I would suggest that you do something like putting a non-inductive resistor from the KPA100 SO-239 jack to ground to bleed off residual static.  I have used 3 watt 47k resistors successfully for that purpose. While you are at it, put one across each ANT jack in the KAT100 as well - if you have the KAT100-1, you can easily solder them on the bottom of the board - with the KAT100-2, it is not difficult to solder the resistors directly across the SO-239 jacks.

73,
Don W3FPR