Thanks for the suggestions.
The subreceiver is on MAIN.
I set the selectivity for about 2kx in both receivers so that they are both using the basic SSB filters, ie no 400cps filter in the sub-. I re-checked all signal processing switches [ie, NR, NB, ATN, etc] to make sure they were the same. I set both receivers to the same frequency, both band noise and signals. I checked the rcv equalization; I don't think that the two receivers can be set up with different profiles, at least I couldn't do it. I turned off my hearing aids [the audio parameters of my hearing in both ears are pretty closely matched]. So, slightly better suggesting that some of the dullness was mismatched setup. However, the sub- is still duller than the main. It's like the there's a high freq cut on the sub-. In some respects it sounds like there's some audio distortion through the sub- that's not there in the main. That's it for the moment.

...robert