"If I can interface the [KX3/KXPA100] combo to the antenna/tuner, then there
would be full, seamless integration as there is with the K3.  That’s the goal."

 I believe I have achieved a level of integration of KAT500/KPA500 with my
TS-590S that exceeds the integration available with the K3.  My controller is
hosted by an Arduino Mega 2560.  No PC involved.

Whether you could do what I have done depends on what data is available from
the KX3.  The basic functionality of my controller relies on reception of
Kenwood format IF, FA, and FB.  The controller uses these parameters to compute
appropriate KPA500 ^BN; commands and appropriate KAT500 F; commands. That is
all that is needed to set the KAT500 and KPA500 to the correct frequency.
Enhanced control features require a more extensive data set.

73,
Andy, k3wyc