Darrell:
The better you get, the less satisfied you will be with the Bencher BY-1. The HEX is quite nice. I'm not sure what the Bencher folks mean by it's being better for people who are used to bugs. I suppose they mean that, because it is heavy and hard to knock around, those with robust habits will be better accommodated. But the HEX is perfectly capable of being used by a very, very light touch. So I guess I find their statement misleading. The Begali paddles are quite wonderful, and the Kent are very good. The WBLs are outstanding, but hard to come by. The Mercury paddles are refined HEX paddles, and while they are really quite nice, I don't think they are worth the rather substantial additional price. The Elecraft version of the HEX is a great value. I suspect if you get a Begali, a HEX, or a Kent, you will be very happy. Within this upper range of items, people tend to think that what they have is the best. That means they are all doing the job just fine.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy