There are actually a number of cases for longer dashes. With a bug or SK, for example, one can truly emphasize the "yes" by sending R with a long dash in the center (di-daahhh-dit). I miss that kind of personalizing of code. One can also send, rather than the mundane dah-di-di-di-dah, something like dah - di - di - di - daahhh, with ease while you're trying to figure what you're going to say next. That element of code has been greatly removed with the keyer. But the irrepressible element of the human soul does come forth through other subtle elements with a keyer. I used a bug for over 40 years, and now, after long getting used to a keyer, I'd never go back -- and I'm sure the chap on the other end feels the same way. The idiosyncratic element to sending with a bug, which almost all bug users have to some extent, particularly the "bug lilt", can make for code that is very difficult to copy.

And, by the way, for those who love their Bencher BY's and took umbrage at my disparaging comments in my earlier posts, I will express no sorrow at all, but wish them the very best. I envy them the latitude they have for growth -- if they'll only take it. The Bencher BY is kind of like the PC of the paddle world. It must be good because everyone has it, but, in fact, almost everything else is better.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy