From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on
behalf of Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
Sent: 05 November 2019 02:31
To: Joe Subich, W4TV <li...@subich.com>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [Elecraft-K3] K3S to be discontinued

Joe,

Not everyone uses an amp with their 100-W rig (in fact, far less than half).
Like other 100-W radios that are compatible with field use, the K3/K3S/K4 must
make ~100 W from a 12-15 V mobile, solar, or battery supply. But it also has to
be efficient at this power level.

If you only need amp drive power, the IMD improves. And the K4 is capable of
predistortion, which means that at amp drive levels, IMD performance should be
truly outstanding.

The transformer ratio is 16:1, the same as most other "12 V capable" 100 W
transceivers. If you go to 25:1, drain current goes way up, precluding the use
of standard 20/25-A power supplies and making the radio a lot less portable.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Message delivered to g0...@g0ruz.com