Its a dual purpose port.  I run two cables out of the port, one is
short pig tail that is strictly RS-232 and terminates in a female
connector that can plug into a standard serial cable.  The other is
the control cable that I use to feed the transverters.

Keeps the two uses separate and avoids connection problems.