On Jun 19, 2006, at 12:55 AM, Paul wrote:

It seems to me the glaring error with Elecraft's serial port implementation is the ability to blow the I/O card out of the water if you use anything but the "special" K2 serial cable. They should have designed it so you could use an "off the shelf" serial cable. Way too much damage exposure. Really seems out of character to the rest of the rig options.

The basic issue is that the DB-9 connector on the K2 does double- duty. It serves both as a serial connection and as an AUXBUS extension for external devices, such as the KAT100 or the KRC2.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901