My son teaches in China. We are in daily contact via WeChat. The medium is
reliable and expedient, but in comparison to amateur radio the atmosphere is
completely different. There is no sense of that realm of nature – the
electromagnetic spectrum – and all of its interesting quirks, its foibles.

Being on a ham band is an adventure in a magical space, a space that was
completely unknown until the late nineteenth century. Once it was discovered,
the exploration began. Most of us got in on it while it was filled with
excitement and innovation.

In addition to the technical aspect though, were the conversations with fellow
hams. The comradery was like a fraternal order. We shared unique knowledge and
experience.

One aspect of that experience that I enjoy the most is the way conversation is
enmeshed in and modulated by atmospheric and ionospheric effects. I can recall
many roundtables, where the distinctness of the personalities was uniquely
shaded by the transmission quality of their rigs, the radiation characteristics
of their antennas, their physical locations relative to me, and of course, band
conditions.

This mysterious aspect of radio communications has been shed by the process of
digitalization. The internet of course has its own sort of quirks. My son and I
have to deal with China politics and VPN shutdowns. The equipment hums, clicks,
freezes, and crashes. But these are experienced as technical problems. There is
no sense of the force of nature, the invisible power of electromagnetic waves.

Even in ham radio some of that sense is being lost. In our process of going
digital, the immediacy of radio has been undermined by latency. Also new
digital modes have been introduced that are beginning to approximate the
impersonality of the internet. But to me those are not really a problem because
the magic and mystery of radio is still alive.

If we can find ways to communicate that message, to instill or revive that
sense – the miracle of radio and the wonder of our fraternity – then it can be
restored to its former glory. For nothing has really changed. Electromagnetic
fields are all around us. It’s just that we have begun to take it for granted.

So I suggest that while we work with the digital future, also to get grounded
in the wonder that initially inspired us all: radio communication.

Thanks,

73 Ed w2rf