I believe this is a very important point.  The modern civilization, at least in
the developed world has become so dependent on the infrastructure.  I'm pretty
sure the younger generation has no appreciation for the extent of that and also
how far reaching the impact of a breakdown of that infrastructure can be. Many
of the not so young as well, I'm pretty sure. Back in '98 right after Christmas
when a massive ice storm hit the north eastern US and Canada, my folks were
without power for 14 days in January.  Many unforseen dominoes fell.  Large
dairy farms had massive piles of dead cows they couldn't milk without
electricity.  Didn't see that one coming.  They couldn't pump gas until the
hand pumps came out and then they couldn't keep a ledger till the notebooks
came out.  Grocery stores lost a lot of food and kitchens too.  No restaurants
to turn to.   All of this was denial until days went by and people began to
realize they had to do certain things old school until the powe
 r came back.  Hospitals have emergency generators but there were many small
and not so small ways we fell on our faces.  The cell phones had some power but
the towers ran out of backup power in short order and didn't get re-fueled too
quickly given the breakdown of everything else. No internet. The field day
setups came out and traffic was passed.  Of course there are many stories where
amateur radio helped out but unless folks have some direct experience with this
type of thing it is too easy to live in blissful ignorance of just how big the
problem can be when critical infrastructure fails.  I don't like to dwell in
doom and gloom but I do think that more can be done to impress the importance
of alternative technology for communication on the general public and to help
people realize how much their lives can change and to what degree when the
infrastructure fails.  This can be an important point for keeping public
perception of amateur radio as something current and import
 ant rather than just an antiquated relic of yesterday's generation.

Joe ve3vxo