One point that I don't believe has been addressed is Emergency Communications. As a former ARES Emergency Coordinator, it seems to me that if Emergency Communications could be presented to young people in the right way it might interest some of them. It fills a need in the community. When other communications break down, hams can usually find a way to bridge the gap and provide the necessary communications. I can remember some exercises in Spartanburg County, SC where most of the people in the EOC were gathered around the ham radio position listening to live, relevant communications that their positions weren't getting. We were providing real-time communications because communications was our only job. Many others had their primary job and communications was something that they did when they had a spare minute.

Jim Campbell - W4BQP
K2/100 #2268
Former Spartanburg County, SC ARES EC
Former Spartanburg County, SC RACES Radio Officer