Chuck,

Your guess that the BFO is positioned inside the filter passbaad is likely correct.

Do you have the SSB FL1 filter set to OP1? If not, try that first. Many times the filter on the RF Board (used for more narrow filter settings) becomes VERY wide - much wider than indicated by the K2. It depends on the exact characteristics of the varactors.

If you are using the SSB OP1 filter, then check the capacitors around the KSB2 filter crystals for proper values. An improper capacitor will distort the passband shape and can make the passband quite wide.

The best way and more certain way to analyze the problem is to look at the K2 audio with an audio spectrum analyzer like Spectrogram running on your computer and band noise fed into the K2 antenna (no signals, just noise)

You can download Spectrogram from my website www.w3fpr.com (scroll to near the bottom of the home page to find the local links). If you do not use Windows, there are audio spectrum analyzers for other operating systems. Instructions for setting up Spectrogram 5.17 and using it to align the filters can be found on Tom Hammond N0SS (SK) website preserved at http://www.mmccs.com/mmarc/n0ss/k2_filters_using_gram_v5r17.pdf.

73,
Don W3FPR