While I was taking the Advanced written test the phone in the room rang. The
test administrator picked it up, listened a bit. Then a look of disgust
appeared on his face. Then he lowered the phone, looked around the room and
asked "HAS ANYBODY SEEN A BASH BOOK HERE?"  We all grinned back at him and
shook our heads.He picked the phone back up said " no one has seen your Bash
book" hung up the phone and we continued with our exams.Sent from my Verizon,
Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: John Simmons
<jasimm...@pinewooddata.com> Date: 4/28/20  11:32 AM  (GMT-05:00) To:  Cc:
elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: The Colpitts mystery
Anybody remember the Bash books?-de John NI0KJim Campbell wrote on 4/28/2020
9:55 AM:> While in college, I co-oped with the FCC in Atlanta, GA. I had to
take > and pass my Radiotelephone First and General class licenses before I >
was allowed to administer those exams. If you did not pass a test you > had to
wait 30 days before you could take it again. Some applicants > tried to game
the system by memorizing as many questions as they could > when they first took
the test so it would give them a leg up the next > time. On the second attempt
there were usually howls of anguish when > they realized they were facing a
different version of the test with > different questions.>> 73,>> Jim - W4BQP>>
On 4/28/2020 10:17 AM, Bob McGraw K4TAX wrote:>> As a 17 year old, I rode the
train {pulled by a coal fired >> locomotive} from Fulton, KY to Memphis, TN.  I
had to walk about 8 >> blocks to the Post Office building where the FCC
administered the >> tests.  I took the 4 elements and passed all 4 of them
earning me a >> First Class Radio Telephone license on the first try.  I recall
many >> much older folks seemingly to be struggling to take the tests. Some >>
commented "what's this kid doing in here?"  Seems some had taken it >> several
times without success.     I spent the night with an old maid >> school teacher
and relative in Memphis.  I took my General class >> license test the next
morning in the same place. The CW receiving >> portion, in the concrete
basement with metal desks and metal chairs, >> sounded like marbles being
dropped into a galvanized wash tub.   So >> was that a T followed by an E or
was that and H?  Passed that one >> too.  Then I rode the bus from Memphis back
to my home in Martin TN.  >> Yes there were several circuits to identify, and
some to draw, as I >> recall.   That was 60 years ago.  Glad I had the
experiences.>>>> 73>>>> Bob, K4TAX>>>